Thursday, July 12, 2012

Propping Against the Dangers

My grandmother gave me a copy of Nikki Giovanni's Bicycles. I've not read more than the title piece, but it was a good one. Here's to talent sprung from East Tennessee and the indomitable spirit of Ms. Giovanni-- long may they live.


Bicycles

Midnight poems are bicycles
Taking us on safer journeys
Than jets
Quicker journeys
Than walking
But never as beautiful
A journey
As my back
Touching you under the quilt

Midnight poems
Sing a sweet song
Saying everything
Is all right

Everything
Is
Here for us
I reach out
To catch the laughter

The dog thinks
I need a kiss

Bicycles move
With the flow
Of the earth

Like a cloud
So quiet
In the October sky
Like licking ice cream
From a cone
Like knowing you
Will always
Be there

All day long I wait
For the sunset

The first star
The moon rise

I move
To a midnight
Poem
Called
You
Propping
Against
The dangers


No comments: