Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Revival

January of this year was the last time I posted anything here. This may mean it's time to pull this thing out by the roots and lay it on the compost heap of projects alongside KnoxLooks and abandoned studio projects.

In the meantime, here's one of the things I've been doing this month: an ink drawing a day for #Inktober on Instagram. It's been challenging to stay on top of the drawings, but the repetition of the task is helpful. Drawing in response to prompts I think are lame is helpful. Drawing when I'd rather do something else is helpful. It's the kind of gentle resistance visiting artist Johanna Winters cited recently in talking to SNC art students: we tear muscles slightly so they grow back stronger. So too in the studio do we introduce prompts, challenges, and materials that tear our making muscles a little and help us grow.

Below is one of the images from the month. The rest are on my Instagram feed here. You can also spend some time perusing the hashtags #inktober and #inktober2017 to see some of the millions of images posted. Lots of bare-chested witches last time I checked. That's not my jam, but right on for daily drawing.

From the Day 15 prompt "mysterious"

No comments: